Ukrainian refugee information

Welcome to Jönköping. On this page, you will find useful information that can help you feel safe and get settled.

Information about residence permit with temporary protection:

You are advised to visit the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible upon your arrival. If you are in need of for example housing, financial support, or medical care, you need to apply for a residence permit with temporary protection. If you have children with you, you will need the residence permit in order for your children to have the right to education in Sweden.

More information about the residence permit with temporary protection can be found below.

Information in english – The Swedish Migration Agency Länk till annan webbplats.

Information in ukrainian – The Swedish Migration Agency (Українська) Länk till annan webbplats.

Frequently asked ques­tions about the situ­a­tion in Ukraine:

Here you can find frequently asked questions about the situation in Ukraine and the temporary protection directive.

Questions and answers – The Swedish Migration Agency Länk till annan webbplats.

Information from the Swedish Tax Agency:

Temporary residence permits Länk till annan webbplats.

Healthcare and medical products

Many medcial products in Sweden can't be purchased without a valid prescription from the health services. Pharmacists in Swedish pharmacies are not permitted to issue or renew any type of prescription. If you need to get a new prescription in Sweden, go to the healthcare services. If you call the telephone number 1177, you will receive healthcare advice from a nurse and information on where you can go to receive care.

Healthcare in Sweden – rules and rights - 1177 Länk till annan webbplats.

How to seek healthcare in Sweden Länk till annan webbplats.

Medical and dental care for asylum seekers Länk till annan webbplats.

Information about Covid-19 in ukrainian Länk till annan webbplats.

Emergency number and help

The emergency number 112 is used in emergencies when there is a danger to life, property or the environment. An emergency situation is when you require urgent assistance from paramedics, emergency services, police, air/sea/mountain rescue services, priests on duty or information about poisoning. All of our SOS operators speak English and are able to conduct the conversation in English. If an interpreter is necessary, a third person will be connected to the call.

More information about the emergency number Länk till annan webbplats.

The Swedish Police Länk till annan webbplats.

Kvinnofridslinjen – A telephone hotline for women subjected to threats, violence or sexual assault Länk till annan webbplats.

Movement of dogs, cats or ferrets

Force majeure exceptions apply to pets who enter Sweden from Ukraine together with their owners. Necessary infection control measures will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Animals that have not been checked by customs staff must be taken to a veterinarian

Bringing a dog, cat or ferret to Sweden Länk till annan webbplats.

Maps and travel information


Welcome to the libraries in Jönköping - here you can borrow books, read newspapers or use a computer with internet access for free.

Libraries in Jönköping Länk till annan webbplats.

Pre-school and school

Children and young people that have been given temporary residence permit with temporary protection or who are asylum seekers shall be received in the school system as soon as possible with consideration taken to their personal circumstances. But they should be received no later than one month after their arrival.

Children that have turned 1 year of age has the right to attend pre-school on the same conditions as Swedish Citizens. The child is guaranteed a pre-school placement within four months.

  1. Register the child/young person as refugee with the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket)
  2. Then contact the nearest Unit for Reception in order to apply for placing in pre-school or school
  3. The child’s/young person’s level of schooling will then be surveyed by the reception unit
  4. The child/young person will be placed in a school class at a school in the commune. The placing will be, to the degree it is possible, according to the level of schooling and subsidiarity

Contact the Reception Units

Ages 1-15 years:
Phone 036-10 67 39

Ages 16-20 years:
Phone 036-10 69 05

Published: 2022-03-18

Human rights

Human rights are an important part of Swedish migration policy, and apply to all human beings. In Sweden, human rights are protected through several laws. There are also many conventions drawn up by the United Nations protecting particularly vulnerable groups. Sweden has signed many conventions in these areas:

  • The rights of the child
  • The elimination of all forms of discrimination against women
  • The elimination of all forms of racial discrimination
  • The rights of persons with disabilities
  • Civil and political rights
  • Economic, social, and cultural rights
  • The prevention of torture or other cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment.

Read more about how human rights are protected in Sweden via the below links: – a guide to swedish society – what are human rights? Länk till annan webbplats.

Swedish migration agency – Human rights Länk till annan webbplats.

Kvinnofridslinjen: a national telephone helpline for women subjected to violence (Українська) Länk till annan webbplats.

Swedish gender equality agency - To you fleeing Ukraine (Українська) Länk till annan webbplats.

Unicef - convention on the rights of the child Länk till annan webbplats.

Bris – Children´s Rights in Society Länk till annan webbplats.

RFSL: The Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex Rights Länk till annan webbplats.

MFD: Swedish Agency for Participation Länk till annan webbplats.